Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Hunting We Will Go For Attire & Snow




It was a big production every outing.
Grandpa and Junior assumed their seats on the top step to which they sat removing slippers and donning street shoes.




We weren't up in Edmonton long when we were graced with the "white stuffs" and a whole lot of it. Zeke woke up in the morning and went to the window in amazement. I ran for my video camera but I was just short of picking up, "What's dat white stuffs Mom? Dose trees are coloring white erey-where."



After spending a quiet April 3rd (7th anni of Grandma's death) we were forced to appreciate the beauty that Mother Nature and Father Sky brought the next day. Zeke was all about the appreciating as he has NEVER seen snow before.



There's Grandpa tending to the snow on the Yukon XL. Yes, this IS two weeks after a major fall. I know, I know, the old dog ain't learning any new tricks because we can't teach him!!!



Well Ezekiel, welcome to Edmonton beginning of April. Just about the time the daffodils are sprouting, Edmonton and it's wacky weather gets the white stuff. Hence, now you see why your Ma and Pa skipped town to play with the sand under blue sky instead of snow under grey.



Although I do have to secretly say, I have always found something magical about the winter and a fresh snow ever since I was a little girl. Today, I found myself feeling really blessed to wake up this wonderful and majestic morning. I was feeling even better that Zeke was going to have the opporunity to roll around and play in it. But not before we adventured out to find some snowpants, mitts, and boots. Little did we know we were up for an almost daunting task.





We arrived in Edmonton with crocs (island babes wear very little or nothing on their feet) and I actually had to go out and buy these little Airwalks because we didn't have anything that was going to work in even the colder weather (never mind the snow). But getting him to the truck proved to be a job in itself. He wasn't interesting in anything but skipping through the snow!




Snow was still coming down as Grandpa loaded Junior into the car. It's a beautiful picture. Just look at those evergreens in the background.




And this friends, after 4 years of not driving in snow-like conditions, is what I had the divine opportunity of navigating through!!! I secretly relished this experience as well - always up for a good challenge! Being that my Dad was unable to drive for a bit after his fall, he was the navigator and I was the Clydesdale (with a little help from good ol' Yukon and his V8).



After visiting many a store only to be turned away because they had rid themselves of their winter apparel (yes, in the Great White North they long so badly for the winter to disappear, they always act hastily), we were finally in business.



When we arrived home with snowpants, mitts, and boots, I told Zeke that he could have a nap and then we would go out and play in the snow. He didn't argue but didn't sleep one wink either. It was like telling a kid that Santa's already been here and left presents but you have to sleep for a few hours before you open them. Not a chance.

I found Zeke in his bed standing up looking at me with little puppy dog eyes, "Momma I seep already and I'm not ti-ti no more. I go play in the white stuffs." No scheduled nap was had.
My child was mystified by the fresh new white stuffs as I was when I was a little girl and still am today.

After we bundled the little Michelin Man up in all his snow gear (I couldn't imagine doing this everyday for on the island we say, go to your bucket and get a pair of shoes we're going out) we went out to play in the pow-pow!





It was amusing to watch Ezekiel trying to figure out why this stuff was sticking to his mittens.



It didn't take long before he'd figured out that it was also a thirst quencher. I did tell him about the yellow snow rule just to be safe.



Throughout the afternoon I found him starring off into nowhere land. When I asked him what he was looking at his responses were always, "Mom, it's white ereywhere," or "Mom, this is a lots of white stuffs," and it was always followed with a giggle.


There was so much of the white stuffs that had Zeke been any smaller he would have easily been able to conceal himself. This was an outdoor romper room!



The tracks in the snow. Unchartered territory. Zeke was really taken aback by the imprints he could leave in this stuff. He's a real "Janson (Janis/Jason) boy" - a trekking adventurer.




Sliding into sand at the beach is one thing but into the white pow-pow! A completely different feel.




I'm not sure if the little grin ever left the face!
Oh yes, pardon me it did briefly when he bonked his face at the end of the slide - but that pain too was short lived. Zeke understands the Bacac Trio maxim - No pain, no gain???!?!?


Zeke would wander aimlessly into unchartered territory where there hadn't yet been human or animal footprints. He would stop a moment, look at me and then fall to the ground giggling. We tried to show him how to make snow angels but he couldn't quite coordinate his appendages so he lost interest quickly.


Behind Grandpa's house is a paved path that people usually bike or walk down to get to the University. It's a pretty steep path - I know, I've walked and biked it many a time.
Here are Grandpa and Junior awaiting the lift.


There's the lift!
Almost as good as the Swiss sleds but this one has breaks and a good friend holding a rope.
I know, once again, two weeks after a severe brain injury Grandpa Bear was out playing again. He couldn't resist. But only after we said, "Hey Grandpa, it's your turn." "No, I don't think I should," was the response. He couldn't resist a burn down the hill with little Bear!






And then Momma Bear had to give it a whirl!


Little Bear takes his friend Cory for a turn.


And finally.......Little Bear makes tracks all by himself tongue out and all.


Must have the tongue out...it helps us concentrate.

Guess who gets the honours of pulling little Bear back up this steep hill?


Little Bear stops for a roll in the snow.

As 5 bells approaches, we were exhausted.
It was definately time for a certain little bear to hibernate for a wee while.
He was content. Had enough. All part of the good life.
And Grandpa had some good therapy too - which is all the reason we came up to the Great White in the first place.


"Nature has no mercy at all. Nature says, "I'm going to snow. If you have on a bikini and no snowshoes, that's tough. I am going to snow anyway." - Maya Angelou