Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy 70th Birthday Dad!


Happy 70th Birthday Dad!



Alan the Awesome playing with Stringrays in Grand Cayman.

Certain people seem to be almost born with an instinct for wisdom. And the people that understand challenge and how to translate it into knowledge, understanding, and experience - essentially wisdom are usually the most unsuspecting of sorts.


My Dad is one of these people. He's brave, he's intelligent, he can show grace enough to admit his humanness, and is more than willing to show vulnerability in eating a little crow every once in awhile. He's a man of whipsering strength. He's useful (we call him 'Al-Trick' because he can pretty mcuh gigger anything out of nothing), helpful to others, and is incredibly dependable. He is solution oriented not problem prone.

He carries with him a faith enough to make real and a hope enough to remove the fears concerning the future. He's level headed and is a good listener. He loves people, is very much interested in what they want to share and is humble enough that he can bring it on any level in whatever situation.

My Dad is a quiet, gentle, respectful type. He is one of the most sensitive humans I know walking the planet today. And like few I know, my Dad believes in being courteous. He's a real GENTLE - man. Perhaps today's world needs a little more of these types. And hopefully his 3 grandsons, Ezekiel (3 years), Dominic (22 months), and Thane (4 months) will follow in his footsteps.....
He also knows that he is one of the most fortunate grandpas on the face of the planet. He has three healthy little grandsons to continue his legacy long after he's gone! Here they are just a few days old.
Ezekiel Jude - December 25, 2005
Dominic Anker - May 13, 2007
Thane Natal - Nov 12, 2008
Here are some random pictures of Al-Trick with his 3 Buoys!
With Ezekiel April 2006 - 4 months
Visit to Grand Cayman
With Ezekiel July 2006 - 7 months
Sharing the sweet stuff - whipping cream!
Out for dessert in Edmonton, Alberta
With Ezekiel July 2006 - 7 months
Family wedding in Edmonton, Alberta
With Ezekiel July 2006 - 7 months
Shuswap Lake cabin steps
Sorrento, British Columbia
With Ezekiel - Dec 2007 - 1 year
Christmas in Grand Cayman
With Ezekiel May 2007 - 16 months
Waiting at the hospital to see his new baby cousin Dominic.
With Ezekiel May 2007 - 16 months
At Hawrelak Park in Edmonton, Alberta
Playing games at Hawrelak Park
With Ezekiel & Baby Dominic July 2007 - 18 months and 2 months
With Ezekiel July 2007 - 18 months
Haircut time!
With Ezekiel June 2007 - turning 1 1/2
Celebrating a HALF birthday.
Grandpa had a little party to celebrate because Zeke was born on Christmas Day.
Shuswap Lake, BC
With Ezekiel July 2007 - 18 months
Suiting up for a night boat ride, jammies, cookie monster slipper and all.
Shuswap Lake
With captain Ezekiel - July 2007 - 18 months
And this is exactly why he's called "Grandpa Boat" (or more likely Buhmpa Boat at that time).
To a little one year old, it's all about the boat!
Shuswap Lake
With Ezekiel July 2007 - 18 months
A pitstop picnic somewhere between Edmonton and the Shuswaps.
Ezekiel's 2nd birthday
Christmas Day 2007

With Ezekiel and Dominic - Dec 2007 - 2 years & 8 months
Grand Cayman visit
With Ezekiel and Dominic Dec 2007
Turtle Farm, Grand Cayman
With Ezekiel Dec 2007
7 miles of pristine beach.
Grand Cayman
With Ezekiel April 2008 - 28 months
Riding bareback at Grandpa's House
Edmonton, Alberta
Out for a walk with Grandpa
Faithful routine of taking shoes off at the door.
With Dominic April 2007 - almost 1 year
With Ezekiel April 2007
Sledding with Grandpa in Edmonton
Snow in April....must have come for Zeke's visit as he'd never seen snow before.
Has since informed me, it's fun but he likes the sand better!
With Grandpa and little brother Thane at the hospital November 2008
Thumb's up - This is the life!
Hollywood, Florida

With Grandpa and Thane - November 2007
Having a relax and watching some TV

With Ezekiel Nov 2008
On the boardwalk playing peek-a-boo in Hollywood Beach, Florida

As a child, one of my greatest memories was when it was "Hat Day" at school and last minute I didn't have a hat to wear so my Dad helped me rig up this funny old white plastic hat with a simple orange flower sticking out of it. It was so tacky and I didn't want to wear it. But at 8 years old, I was missing the point - it's supposed to be tacky!

To a grade four kid coming home from school carrying a ribbon with 'first place' for the best hat on it was a pretty big deal. I was really proud and beaming from ear to ear. Once again, my Dad had shown me, where there's a will there's a way. I think I really learned from him to turn my stumbling blocks into stepping stones. Tenacity...it's a great gift to give your children. And not to mention creativity.

My Dad and I on a boat cruise in Grand Cayman



My Dad is a next to none......wonderful human being and still at 33 I think he's a remarkable father. Here are some pictures of our ever expanding family....that without him, simply would not be here.

Grand Cayman Visit - April 2006

Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada - July 2006

Visit to Grand Cayman - December 2007
Shuswap Lake, Sorrento, British Columbia - July 2007
On the famous family steps which my Dad built.
Stingray City, Grand Cayman - Dec 2007
Boating, Grand Cayman - December 2007
Bacac backyard, Grand Cayman - Dec 2007
Christmas Eve on the Beach blowing off fireworks for Zeke's 2nd birthday - Dec 2007
As you can see Zeke was incredibly excited....or scared?



I am grateful to my Dad because he has always urged me to 'face the music', to take ownership and claim my choices in life and move forward, even if it's the most difficult thing I have to do.


I have watched my Dad slowly but steadily choose to pick himself up and carry on since my Mom Natalie died coming up eight years ago. His ability to "keep on keep on" is definately noticed by his children. I owe a great deal of my durability to him.

I learned from the best- it is part of what has enabled me to move through my Mom's death with a great amount of fortitude and perseverance. Under that amiable demeanour there is much strength and steadfastness. You don't chose your family, least of all your parents....but, I know I am very fortunate to have a Dad like Al-Trick.



Thank you for your mysterious infection of goodness that you infuse into our lives. The name for this infection is LOVE.

Thank you for your own around the corner brand of hope that prompts us to move forward. Thank you for your compassion, commitment, loyalty and perseverance, and so on..... yadda...yadda...

I really couldn't ask for a more stable loving father! (except when it comes to climbing ladders - stability wouldn't be your forte.....sorry, I had to!)

You ARE a good man Dad and I'm proud to call you MY DAD.



Happy Birthday Dad! Thanks for the many ways you continue to bless my life!





Now that you're 70, you should be doing way more of this (in Grand Cayman of course)!