
In almost an instant of meeting Jason's grandmother, I remember thinking, "This woman is humble and quiet but she'll probably be one of the greatest I'll ever have the opportunity of knowing. And she sure knows how to invite you into her life with that ear to ear smile. I just feel so welcomed!"
What I thought back then over 12 years ago, still rings true today. She was and is one of my most venerated and cherished. Ida was filled with passion and love and so here's a thought and the best way I can sum Ida up in few words:
“To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special." - Jim Valvano
I liked Grandma Ida. She knew how to laugh from deep down within. When she laughed her eyes would smile. There was always a sense of freshness to her demeanour....always welcoming, she would make you really feel at home with her genuine nature. Even when life handed her the proverbial lemons, she managed to make the sweetest tasting lemonade. I respected that about Ida.

Grandma died at 88 years young. Infinity + Infinity.
Zeke would say like Buzz Lightyear, "To infinity and beyond...." I think it fitting that this grande woman died at the end of a great week and not to mention Good Friday of all days.
After she had her stroke, I believe that Ida not only waited for Jason to return to Canada with Zeke but she let go as Jason and Zeke were returning to Cayman. She wanted to make sure she had the opportunity to say goodbye to her grandson. I think it beautiful! Which just goes to show us how powerful the mind is and how we are able to orchestrate events in our lives so that timing becomes everything.
In her gentle way, she was like the tree's root spreading out, intermingling, lending strength, kinship, and balance. Ida was a good hearted human being, an incredible mother and grandmother. Nothing more needs to be said. This family was fortunate to have her at the helm.
History has a beautiful way of repeating itself because just as Ida left the world, she made sure to leave a lone survivor equipped with her strength and resilience. Grandma is survived by her one daughter Judy (affectionately known in this territory as Jude).Guess who Ezekiel Jude was named after?
The humble quiet grit has been passed down to her daughter which in turn has been passed to Jason. I hope my boys get it too! Jason and I are grateful because she also left her head of hair on Zeke. And everytime we look at him, we'll know, there's definately some of Grandma in there.
I will miss the incandescence you brought to a room with your glow, wonderment of life, and sense of goodness Ida. And although you are not my blood Grandma, I will still affectionately refer to you as such. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have such family members. I wouldn't have Jason who carries many of your same attributes. Like no one else, Jason is you in so many ways wonderful ways.
Thank you for the honour of knowing such greatness! We will all miss you dearly. What a full life you had.
Shine On as you giggle from heaven!
BARON, Ida Elsie (nee Miller)
On April 10, 2009, Ida Baron of Edmonton passed away at the age of 88 years. Ida will be lovingly remembered by her daughter Judy (Joe); her grandchildren Jocelyn (Don) and Jason (Janis); her great-grandchildren Tatijana, Joey, Ezekiel and Thane. Ida was predeceased by her parents Bernard and Barbara Miller, all of her siblings; eight sisters and one brother, her husband Henry in 1996 and her daughter Geraldine in 1956.
"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Emerson