
Zeke began counting "One Two, One Two." Walking around the house pointing at things and saying, "One Two, One Two." Then "One Two" evolved into "One Two Tree" and soon there after "One Two Tree Two (which was Four)."
We went to the store today and we strolled past a little section of toys and Zeke immediately spotted a pack of bouncy balls.
He points and eloquently strings together his words, "Momma, Zekie see bulls?" What that means is I see some balls and I want them!
I joke with him and reply, "You want those balls Zekie?"
"Zekie balls," pipped back this little voice as the little pointer referred to the prize.
"Well, if you want them," as I remove the package from the shelf, "You have to tell Momma how many balls there are. Can you count them?"
Zeke takes his little finger and proceeds to place it on the first orange ball and says, "Dat orange bull."
"Yes that is an orange ball but if you want the balls you have to tell Momma how many there are in this package. Count the balls for me."
The little finger comes out again points to one ball and the little voice says, "One," points to the next ball, "Two," and then the little finger loses it's place (and is pointing all over) and a quick little, "Tree, fa, five," come out of nowhere.
Did I just hear what I thought I did? "Can you count to five again Zekie?" I ask.
"One Two, One Two," says the little voice as a playful little giggle comes over his face, "Zekie fun-ee."
"Zekie silly boy," I reply. I reach for the package of bouncy balls to put them back on the shelf and proceed down the aisle explaining that we won't be buying any toys today.
The little voice speaks with such assurance, "One, two, tree, fa, five! Zekie count!"
I stop in my tracks and just look at my son smiling away. He has the funniest little grin on his face almost as if to say, "I trick you Momma." I back peddle the cart to where the balls are sitting on the shelf. I picked them up and for a brief moment dangle them over his head and then proceed to hand them to him.
"Dese Zekie bulls," he smiles as his eyes light up. His feet begin swinging below him in excitement. He is SO pleased with himself!
I reply, "Yes, those are Zekie's balls," and head down the aisle to the checkout as I shake my head in total amazement. I've just been stumped by my 20 month old!
We get to the checkout and I ask Zeke to hand over the balls so the lady can scan them. He does. But not without telling her whose balls they are.
"Dese Zekie bulls, one two tree fa five!"

Zeke & His Little Pack of Bouncing Balls

They are always listening and watching.....this I have come to know.