Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Sitting on the edge of the bay, waiting for the time to roll away....."



We flew into LAX on Thursday night and spanned a 6 hour drive over 3 days to get up to San Francisco. And thanks goodness we did! In 380 miles we saw a LOT! We took the 101 (the second slowest more picturesque highway) on the west coast and avoided the PCH (too slow but very picturesque).

We took Zeke to the Santa Barbara Zoo. That was an experience in itself (which will come in a later entry....when time permits). Then we cruised on through to Pismo Beach. It wasn't GCI but there was surfing to be watched and so......we were content. Jason wasn't interested in going out.....I think the warm waters of Cayman have spoiled him! Heehee!

Then up to San Luis Obispo...........the vineyards coming and leaving were as far as the eye could see! Salinas, Gilroy and Morgan Hill........romaine lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, and onions.........everywhere. Salinas is called the salad bowl capital of the world because it grows the largest quantity of romaine lettuce in the world! Gilroy is garlic capital of the world! You could smell it! And finally we arrived up in San Francisco on Sunday afternoon.

Jason and I have been to all of the 'big' cities in the US but SAN FRANCISCO has an energy and vitality we've never witnessed before! It is by far the most intriguing city we've been to in the US and ranks up there with the best overall city in the world.

Nestled amongst the panoramic hills that on a clear day (such as today) one can see for 100 miles (the vistas are spectacular!), surrounded by water on 3 sides, an Embarcadero festival marketplace along the bay with street performers, restaurants and eye candy galor, a melting pot for all walks of life, the old street cars (which we know Zeke won't let us leave until we go for a ride on 'dat tain')........things are nothing short of INTERESTING here.

There's a vibe in this city that quickly finds its way into your core...the soul. Maybe because it's known as the most 'tolerant' city in the US? Perhaps it's the fact that you are witness to all these different neighborhoods blending together to form a cohesive city? Or yet, perhaps because all of your senses have the ability to work together to appreciate San Francisco's awesomeness! I just can't find a better word!

I now know why the lyrics to the song, "I left my heart in San Francisco."



THE most thought provoking, moving piece of artwork I've seen as of yet! We looked all over to find something that explains its existence but then I thought that perhaps the artist purposefully doesn't want to label it.......rather leave it up to the admirer to contemplate......perhaps it's what San Francisco is all about? I think it reeks of TOLERANCE myself.


These are taken from Sausilito. The one above is of Jason and Zeke overlooking Alcatraz and the one below is Zeke and I overlooking San Fran proper.
Today was a breathtaking day! There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was quite warm. Among other things, the highlight was our drive over the Golden Gate to Sausilito. Jason and I would have biked the bridge but Zeke's too big for our back pack!!!


And then of course we have the Golden Gate..........what an incredible piece of artwork in itself!



Whether Zeke remembers our trip to California or not in the years to come, he'll appreciate the efforts made.



Notice the name of the boat............and we've a whole lot of that lately! PATIENCE.......Are we EVER enjoying ourselves.
A few more days in San Fran and then we head to Santa Cruz and Monterey - just in time to celebrate a Momma birthday!
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears.