Sunday, December 2, 2007

321 Endure








Welcome to a ...........










where we are encouraged by the Mexican water stop during the Cayman Islands Marathon to:





It's 4:36 in the AM and the countdown has begun. Here I am about to attempt my first half marathon after completing a triathlon the weekend before. Am I nuts? Well, obvioulsy if you have to ask, you don't know me! Actually, I'm just dynamically peaceful and living my life in a very zestful way (if that makes any sense). Jason and Zeke at this time are sawing logs.........









Life IS good....and life IS easy. That's because I just stopped by the Mexican Water Stop and WOWEE! They were serving something far superior to Red Bull or Propel. I'm at about mile marker 7 of the 13.1. Just over halfway.....feeling good and I would say looking pretty strong.







Well, you should have seen how I was running at Mile 11. Not too good. Probably looked more like hobbling than it did running. Injury from the triathlon the weekend before that I 'thought' was relatively safe to run on. I just kept telling myself......"Get friendly with your pain girlie......2 miles is a long way to hobble."
And then over the IPOD, just when I need to hear it, on comes "I will remember you" by Sarah McLachlan. Perfect timing MOM! Thanks for that extra boost of energy and those heavy tears streaming down my face. I got very emotional and had to actually stop to gather myself a bit. But I made it........'stick-to-it-ness' (like a stamp to the letter) like my Momma taught me.......and although aching....I can't believe I just ran 13.1 miles (over 20 kilometers)!





I didn't have Natalie (my Mom) in the physical but I had Nat (short for Natisha) lending a little support. And let me tell you, she's the right one to seek support from.

Nat and I are picking up our race packages and heading out for a pasta dinner the night before the race.







And here we are the finish line...








Nat ran the full marathon........I went out to meet her after I completed the half..........and the last 1/4 of the race I rode Jason's scooter beside her and snapped many a photo along the way. But the fact that she ran the full marathon is not the impressive part. This South African beauty has ran the Comrades Marathon in South Africa.....the big hootunga - 87 kms worth!








Now don't tell me she wasn't put along my path for a reason! Just her name itself....all is orchestrated just so! What this woman has ENDURED in her lifetime, she is completely inspiring..........I feel so blessed to know her! She's a woman of grit, character, tenacity and beyond all there is a STRONG DYNAMIC PEACEFULNESS about her.




The Comrades Ultra Marathon. They call it the ultimate human race because it WILL bring substance and grit back into your life...........without a doubt. The cut off for this race is 12 hours. Running for 12 hours.......incredible!
Check out the website:
http://www.comrades.com/



This, another friend, I hear her comment, "I'm not a runner by nature but I try." But, in reality, what does a runner by nature look like? Jodi is an incredible athlete who has this ability just because she quietly goes out and does it.......to inspire! She needs to be the poster girl for Nike.............RUN.....like Jodi. Just friggin' DO IT already!





At least 20 marathons a year will yield you this...............and a beer of course! Trust me, read on......he earned it!




This is Andrew Koluski from Montclair, NJ.




He certainly has a WIDE dash......November 18, 1939 -------------------------------------?



Nat and I sat and spoke with Andrew for quite some time. He is a total inspiration and one of those people who was certainly put on this earth to relay the message that "Anyone can accomplish!" It was an honour to stand beside him and have our picture taken.






Here's a break down...........

HALF MARATHON - 13.1 miles / 21 kms


FULL MARATHON - 26.2 miles / 42 kms


ULTRA MARATHON - 54.1 miles / 87 kms


Therefore, in Andrew's 68 years of living young...he has ran at least 15,484.2 miles / 24,919.4 kms (if all of them have been full marathons - which they have not). Andrew has thrown a few ultra-marathons in there just to mix things up at bit. How many strides is that anyway?




When training for something such as a triathlon or a marathon a great deal of time needs reworking and rescheduling. Those of you that have children (esp. little ones) can really appreciate the time commitment they take. My efforts would never have been successful if I didn't have Jason's unwaivering support........he's a superSTAR!



And of course, Zekie too....bringing me my "Hamut for the bika, my goggas for simmin', and bringing me my trainers every morning, peering up at me and with a lilt in his voice, "Momma runnin?" He was a strict coach! But he gets results so that's all that matters.


PS. And it's not over yet! We're just getting started. We're just going to go on hiatus while we get festive!!!




When Stevie Ray Vaughn wrote the song "Living Life By the Drop" do you think he was talking about aqua or tequila? I'll tell you, when you're running for such a long time.....in a hot climate like the Caribbean especially, you certainly don't take for granted those wet refreshing drops!


WIDEN YOUR DASH....live life one delicious drop by the next. How sweet and refreshing it is!



"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." - Jesse Owens