Thursday, November 15, 2007

12 Days of Innocence - Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle



Zeke and I were fortunate to see a 12 day old baby gorilla (born Oct 20th) at the zoo the day we went. She was so tiny!!!! The mother looked completely exhausted. And you can't tell me that we didn't evolve from this species.

Here's just another reason why creatures are better left in the wild. But then again, without captivity we wouldn't know nearly as much as we do!

http://www.zoo.org/pressroom/pr/2001/pr8_16_2001.htm


This gorilla Zeke is allowed to get close to.....

And these.........



And even this little guy....



But only the real thing from a distance behind the glass. Nonetheless Zeke's jaw dropped and he just starred. I wondered what he was thinking....
"Gee these creatures sure look like us humans."
"Wow those things are furry beasts."
"They're boring just lying there sleeping."



Something was definatly causing Zeke to stop and take notice.





Another one of Zeke's favorites was the little green tree snake. He had himself coiled up looking so cute. You almost want to pick him up he looked like a little Anne Geddes snake baby. It was only a thought. Snakes only intrigue me to a certain point.


This picture of the lion was taken with my zoom so we were quite a distance away. I came into view and the lion didn't even bother to look. As soon as Zeke came from behind my leg, THEN we were sitting up and taking notice. I'm not kidding, the eyes were piercing right through Zeke. I know what he was thinking, "lunch!" I protected my little cub like any concerned mother would. As soon as I took this picture my shaggy mane rose and came over to take a closer look.
Check out the turkey toss.....better the Thanksgiving turkey than Zeke.
http://woodlandparkzblog.blogspot.com/



Ezekiel riding a hippo. This was one of the highlights of the trip to the zoo believe it or not! And he's been talking about the 3 hippos and the ride on the hippo still almost 2 weeks later!



Happy little Serengeti Safari Zeke!


Giraffe's are amazing creatures. They are one of those animals that would be fabulous to see in the wild!



Zebra's as well.......fascinating horses they are!



Tractor Zeke loves farming......or maybe it's just the big round circle in the middle of the tractor her likes!


This was a child's maze. This is supposed to be a rather large garden worm to crawl in and around. Zeke was more interestd in the chickens and buddy mammots (bunny rabbits) than he was in some saucy garden worm.

You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla. - African proverb